Monday, December 17, 2012

Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies

So, tis the season to be merry and bright, right?  oh who am i kidding?  tis the season to pull my hair out and bake myself to oblivion!  HAHA  This year, I think I baked more than I ever have!  what have I gotten myself into?  This cookie, was my last to go in the tin for the boys' teachers.  and boy, was it the cookie that broke the camel's back!  seriously!!  lol  Looking at it and reading the directions, seemed sooo easy.  actually making it, a whole other story!!!  LOL  But, what matters most to me, is that they taste AMAZING!  even if the candy canes have some shape issues!  lol



Ingredients:

1 pk (8 oz) Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
4 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, Melted
1 pkg. (6oz) Baker's Premium White Baking Chocolate
12 hard peppermint candies, crushed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  


Add flour and baking soda; mix well!



Add melted Semi-sweet chocolate squares.


Blend well!!



Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into 52 balls. Roll each ball into 3-inch-long rope.  place, 2 inches apart, on baking sheet and shape into a candy cane. This is where I struggled the most.  the dough was very soft. so i refridgerated one tray while I worked with another.  The last two balls I had, i wanted to see how it would come out if i just left them as balls.  So I left them.  



Bake 10-12 min. or until lightly browned; cool 5 minutes on baking sheet.  Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  



These are the two balls.  Came out great.  just slightly flattened on top which worked perfectly.  Think I'll do this next time!!

When cookies have cooled completely, microwave white chocolate as directed on the package. 



You are supposed to drizzle the white chocolate on almost in stripes, which clearly didn't look right, so i just made it a white line tracing the shape.  Sprinkle the crushed candies on the white chocolate and let stand until chocolate is firm.



As you can see, the ball worked quite well!  so for all of those who are shape challenged like me, just leave the balls, Will save so much time and energy!!  and taste just as great!!  Serve with some milk and you are good to go!!

Makes 52 cookies or 26 servings of 2 cookies each!  

5 comments:

  1. that looks like a fun thing to do with the kiddos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the title and expected chocolate covered candy canes. lol I'm so glad I looked at the pictures. :)

    I think I will try these with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love chocolate, that thought made me shutter! LoL have fun!

      Delete
    2. As much as I love chocolate, that thought made me shutter! LoL have fun!

      Delete
  3. ohh! I might try this with Monkey :)

    ReplyDelete